Do you offer legal services to the general public?

Unfortunately, no. OLFC is only authorized to represent children in Department of Human Services custody in deprived cases assigned to us by the Oklahoma County court system. We cannot accept cases in response to inquiries from the general public, including divorces or custody modifications. For resources related to legal assistance, contact the Oklahoma Bar Association at (405) 416-7000 or Legal Aid Services of Oklahoma at 1-888-534-5243.

Can I report child abuse or neglect to you?

No. If you believe a child is being abused or neglected, you have a legal responsibility to report it to the authorities. Reports can be made at any time to the OKDHS Abuse and Neglect Hotline at 1-800-522-3511. The hotline is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Can I volunteer if I am not an attorney?

Yes! We would love to have your help. Visit our Volunteer page to learn more about all of our opportunities to serve.

Why does a child need a lawyer?

Under Oklahoma law, every child in a deprived case (children are in DHS custody due to abuse or neglect) must have their own attorney appointed to represent their expressed wishes. Our attorneys fight specifically for the child throughout their time in the court system until they reach a safe and healthy outcome.

Do you receive any taxpayer funds?

No. We are a 501(c)(3) nonprofit funded entirely by grants, community business partners, and private donors.

How is my donation being used?

Along with our corps of volunteers, our staff members manage a caseload that represents $4.1 million in donated legal services annually. We do this on a comparatively small budget of just over $300,000. You can review our financial documents at GiveSmartOKC. Contact us if you have more questions – we’re an open book!

I’ve heard about your annual gala! When is the next one?

The 7th annual Chips for Children gala will be held sometime in late 2016. Stay tuned to our Events page for details next spring/summer! If you’re interested in sponsoring, contact our office.

What is the difference between OLFC and CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocates)?

Both organizations have the same mission of serving abused and neglected children in the juvenile court system, but OLFC does it through pro bono attorney representation. CASA volunteers and OLFC attorney volunteers frequently work together on cases.